Skip to main content

There's No Place Like Home

Turns out, I'm a much better Kindergarten Teacher than I am a blogger. In the big picture, that's not such a terrible thing, I suppose. It is my Almost-Mid-Year Resolution to get better at this. New Year Resolutions almost never work. We'll see how this goes, though!

I keep finding myself reflecting on the fact that the school year is almost over. I'm sorry...where did the time go?!? It feels like just yesterday I was driving to Delta State University to start my summer training and here I am, almost ready to close out my first year of teaching. We're in the home stretch, but we've still got a lot to do before June 2nd. But, man! We've come along way! My kids who came in not knowing how to hold a pencil are writing beautiful, creative stories. Those who didn't know any letters and sounds, now reading sentences and short stories! I've yet to see, in my short 25 years, anything as cool as this...as my students learning (part of the coolness is that I'm the one with the honor to teach them). It is seriously the coolest thing I've ever done. I've said it before but I'll say it again (and probably again and again), there is nothing quite as awesome as getting to wake up every day and know that you're doing exactly what God created you to do. As a first year teacher, I'm not half bad. But, none of the glory can be mine. I've simply gotten in line with what God wants for my life and reaping the blessings of that.I wake up each day excited about my job (not to say that it's perfect, it definitely has its downsides). I walk into my classroom each morning and feel completely at home- in the classroom is where I'm supposed to be right now. No doubt. 

Life outside the classroom is another story. I knew that my move to the Delta was going to be an adjustment. I just thought I would have adjusted by now. And it's just hit me this week how much I seemingly don't fit in here. Do I have friends that love me? Yes- I have met some of the greatest people here. Do I genuinely love my friends here? Absolutely- I'd do anything for them! But do they really get me? No. And I didn't realize just how much they don't know me until I was going through some pictures and what my friends at home would see as me being truly in my comfort zone, my friends here could never picture me doing. And it hit me like a ton of bricks: the people here that I'm closest to don't know the real me. And I was overcome with such sadness. Have I been holding back because I'm so attached to my home in Georgia? Or do they not know the real me because I haven't found a place to be real here in Mississippi? Honestly, it's a little of both. So many of the moments where I'm the most real, or where I'm my most comfortable are when I'm at church or with my church family. I simply haven't found that here. And so, outside of my classroom, I don't know that I've truly been able to be myself. 

For now, I'm going to continue to go to church, serve my community here, and countdown the weeks until my next visit home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hi. My Name is Cayla.

And I'm addicted to food.  Having been overweight most of my life, there are so many things that I've looked at and blamed.  But the more I've reflected on it, and examined my habits and my relationship with food, I've realized it is not healthy at all. It's quite dysfunctional. I'll find myself in this vicious cycle: dieting (I've literally tried them all, starting in MIDDLE SCHOOL - we'll talk about that some more in a later post), not seeing results, being sad because of the lack of results, binging food to try and make the sadness subside, which doesn't work, so I try another diet. But this time, I quit.  Let me be clear - I'm not quitting food. That would find me quite dead. But, I'm quitting being controlled by it. And I'm kicking off this journey with Whole30. Whole30 is a 30-day diet that emphasizes whole foods and the elimination of sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy. This is going to be super tough (I really l

Whole30 - Week 1

In order for me to make good decisions, the good options need to be right in front of my face and easy to grab. So meal planning works really well for me. I don't necessarily get all the plastic containers and pre-portion meals for the week. But I do plan a menu that includes each meal and snacks. Then from that, I can create a shopping list. This allows me to go about my week, knowing that the good-for-me things are readily available.  I'm sharing my meal plan, recipe, and shopping lists below.  WEEK 1 - MEAL PLAN Day 1 (Thurs 2/21) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole Lunch - Veggie Salad with Tuna & hard boiled eggs Dinner - Zoodles and Meatballs Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 2 (Fri 2/22) Breakfast - Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Bake Lunch - Leftover zoodles and meatballs Dinner - One Pan chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 3 (Sat 2/23) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole