Skip to main content

There's No Place Like Home(s)

I am currently sitting on my couch, in my house in McDonough, GA. Whew! What a breath of fresh air to be back in Georgia, surrounded by my family and friends. Because, in case you didn't know...I have THE BEST friends an family any girl could ever dream to be blessed with. I have missed home so terribly- my bed, my shower (such wonderful water pressure it has), my city, my church, my people!

But, wait. Institute is over?!? It seems like just yesterday that it started. At the same time, it feel like forever ago. I spent the last five weeks lesson planning, teaching, and not sleeping so as to prepare for each day's first grade math lesson. But it was 100% worth it to see the growth that my kids made this summer. It's amazing! They're amazing! To look back and see the progress that they've made in four short weeks is astounding to me. And I got to have a part in that- what a blessing!

The last five weeks were spent not only teaching but also building relationships. With students, with parents, with teachers and administrators. As well as with fellow TFA corps members, alum, and staff. I will have the great opportunity to continue working with some of these great people in the fall. But some, I may never see again. It's such a strange thing to realize- we've gone through the craziness of TFA Institute (which, as I've said before is the hardest thing I've ever done) together, supported each other, helped each other up once we've fallen, only to have to separate to our regions to prepare for our class this fall. Really, it kind of stinks.

But then, there are the friends that I've made while on this journey. This week, for the first time, we're not living down the hall from each other. We won't be eating at least two meals a day together and spending the majority of our waking moments together. I miss them already! It's fascinating how such a journey can bring people together so quickly and so completely. I have no doubt that I have met people that will be added to my list of wonderful life-long friends.

As I sit here, at home, in McDonough, GA, I know that I will be returning home to the Delta in a week's time. How blessed I am that I get to have so many homes. It's a wonderful reminder of how God continues to bless this journey that He has set me on. At times it feels uncertain, I feel incompetent and unprepared. But, I know what I've been called to do. And so I will do it. 

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
~Philippians 4:13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole30 - Week 1

In order for me to make good decisions, the good options need to be right in front of my face and easy to grab. So meal planning works really well for me. I don't necessarily get all the plastic containers and pre-portion meals for the week. But I do plan a menu that includes each meal and snacks. Then from that, I can create a shopping list. This allows me to go about my week, knowing that the good-for-me things are readily available.  I'm sharing my meal plan, recipe, and shopping lists below.  WEEK 1 - MEAL PLAN Day 1 (Thurs 2/21) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole Lunch - Veggie Salad with Tuna & hard boiled eggs Dinner - Zoodles and Meatballs Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 2 (Fri 2/22) Breakfast - Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Bake Lunch - Leftover zoodles and meatballs Dinner - One Pan chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 3 (Sat 2/23) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole

Whole30 Update: This isn't fun anymore

Hey people! I hope your Monday isn't feeling so much like a Monday today! I started this post last night. I wish I would have finished and posted it then because I was feeling pretty good. Today, however I'm feeling pretty poopy. Mentally, I'm past the point of excitement and I'm on to the "this isn't really fun anymore" part. Physically, I go back and forth between feeling lousy and just weird. See more details below on the craziness that a sugar detox does to you. But, the good news is, I'm more than 1/10th of the way through my 30 Days (Today is Day 5). I've learned a few things to share with you guys: 1. Sugar is in everything! EVERY. THING. I couldn't find a breakfast sausage or bacon that didn't have sugar in it. And it was almost impossible to find a spaghetti sauce. Prego Simply is a good option, but my grocery store was out. I did find a Whole30 compliant sauce in the health food section. 2. Sugar detox does some weird stuff

Hi. My Name is Cayla.

And I'm addicted to food.  Having been overweight most of my life, there are so many things that I've looked at and blamed.  But the more I've reflected on it, and examined my habits and my relationship with food, I've realized it is not healthy at all. It's quite dysfunctional. I'll find myself in this vicious cycle: dieting (I've literally tried them all, starting in MIDDLE SCHOOL - we'll talk about that some more in a later post), not seeing results, being sad because of the lack of results, binging food to try and make the sadness subside, which doesn't work, so I try another diet. But this time, I quit.  Let me be clear - I'm not quitting food. That would find me quite dead. But, I'm quitting being controlled by it. And I'm kicking off this journey with Whole30. Whole30 is a 30-day diet that emphasizes whole foods and the elimination of sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy. This is going to be super tough (I really l