Skip to main content

Hi. My Name is Cayla.

And I'm addicted to food. 

Having been overweight most of my life, there are so many things that I've looked at and blamed. 

But the more I've reflected on it, and examined my habits and my relationship with food, I've realized it is not healthy at all. It's quite dysfunctional. I'll find myself in this vicious cycle: dieting (I've literally tried them all, starting in MIDDLE SCHOOL - we'll talk about that some more in a later post), not seeing results, being sad because of the lack of results, binging food to try and make the sadness subside, which doesn't work, so I try another diet. But this time, I quit. 

Let me be clear - I'm not quitting food. That would find me quite dead. But, I'm quitting being controlled by it. And I'm kicking off this journey with Whole30. Whole30 is a 30-day diet that emphasizes whole foods and the elimination of sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy. This is going to be super tough (I really love sugar. Like really really love it). But I'm going to do this thing. Because I want to be around for a long time. 

Food is no longer going to be something that brings me comfort. I have Jesus for that. And human friends. Food is going to be fuel for my body. Of course it's going to be part of celebrations and community. But it is not going to be the celebration or the community. It will simply be there while those things are happening. Food is fuel. That's it. 

I decided to track my journey here because
1. There may be someone else with similar struggles that needs to see this journey. 
2. I need to see this journey. I want to look back and see my growth over the next 30 days. 
3. Maybe I'll get internet famous (kidding!)

So, in a few hours, I'll officially start Day 1. I'll weigh and measure myself first thing in the morning. But I won't weigh or measure again until the morning of Day 31. It's one of the things that drew me to Whole30 in the first place. It's not about the weight you lose (although this will be a plus). It's about the food you eat and how it affects your body. So even though I won't be weighing or measuring during this journey, I will be taking daily pictures, some of which I will post here from time to time. 

I'll also be sharing my meal plans and recipes. So keep following. Or don't. But definitely pray. Because sugar is more addictive than crack and as of 73 minutes ago, I quit sugar cold turkey. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole30 - Week 1

In order for me to make good decisions, the good options need to be right in front of my face and easy to grab. So meal planning works really well for me. I don't necessarily get all the plastic containers and pre-portion meals for the week. But I do plan a menu that includes each meal and snacks. Then from that, I can create a shopping list. This allows me to go about my week, knowing that the good-for-me things are readily available.  I'm sharing my meal plan, recipe, and shopping lists below.  WEEK 1 - MEAL PLAN Day 1 (Thurs 2/21) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole Lunch - Veggie Salad with Tuna & hard boiled eggs Dinner - Zoodles and Meatballs Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 2 (Fri 2/22) Breakfast - Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Bake Lunch - Leftover zoodles and meatballs Dinner - One Pan chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 3 (Sat 2/23) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole

There's No Place Like Home

Turns out, I'm a much better Kindergarten Teacher than I am a blogger. In the big picture, that's not such a terrible thing, I suppose. It is my Almost-Mid-Year Resolution to get better at this. New Year Resolutions almost never work. We'll see how this goes, though! I keep finding myself reflecting on the fact that the school year is almost over. I'm sorry...where did the time go?!? It feels like just yesterday I was driving to Delta State University to start my summer training and here I am, almost ready to close out my first year of teaching. We're in the home stretch, but we've still got a lot to do before June 2nd. But, man! We've come along way! My kids who came in not knowing how to hold a pencil are writing beautiful, creative stories. Those who didn't know any letters and sounds, now reading sentences and short stories! I've yet to see, in my short 25 years, anything as cool as this...as my students learning (part of the coolness is that I