Skip to main content

The First Day of School!

Tomorrow is the First Day of School! I simultaneously feel like this day has snuck up on me and like I've been waiting for weeks for it to get here. I'm so ready, and so not ready, all at once. Either way, it is finally here and the different emotions I'm feeling at the moment would fill this blog twenty times over. As I spent the day stress eating everything in my apartment from apples to zucchini bread (made by my mom...and absolutely delicious), I wondered what my kids were feeling today. And realized that we're probably feeling many of the same things. 

Nervous.Tomorrow starts a brand new school year for some of my students. And for some, this is a brand new experience completely. Going to school for the very first time. Not knowing what to expect. Tomorrow starts a brand new experience for me. My Summer Training, though great, could not have prepared me for what I will experience tomorrow. The crazy-ness, the joy, the exhaustion, the excitement! One of my mentor teachers compared the first day of teaching to childbirth (completely terrified me, by the way). But, I think she was trying to convey that this is one of those things- you have to experience it for yourself to know what it's truly like. 

Excited. The thrill of something new. This is all I've been thinking about the past few weeks, the past few months. This is all my students have been thinking about lately. And here it is. We've all spent the day organizing our school supplies (the best part of going back to school- brand new crayons and markers), packing our bookbags (yes, I still carry a bookbag- it's just so much more convenient than a shoulder bag!), and picking out what we're going to wear on the first day (don't worry, I'm sure I'll post a selfie at some point tomorrow), We're ready...we think.

Hope. Tomorrow is a starting point. It's new. We have 180 days to learn all that we need to learn to be ready for first grade. We're going to achieve, to grow, to make mistakes and learn from them. We're going to be ready. Kindergarten starts it all. The road college start with kindergarten. The future will be sitting in my classroom tomorrow, in tiny chairs, at tiny tables. I'm honored to play a part in their growth and achievement. They are amazing! They will do amazing things! And hopefully, they will look back on their year in Kindergarten with Ms. Hicks and have memories of joy and learning! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole30 - Week 1

In order for me to make good decisions, the good options need to be right in front of my face and easy to grab. So meal planning works really well for me. I don't necessarily get all the plastic containers and pre-portion meals for the week. But I do plan a menu that includes each meal and snacks. Then from that, I can create a shopping list. This allows me to go about my week, knowing that the good-for-me things are readily available.  I'm sharing my meal plan, recipe, and shopping lists below.  WEEK 1 - MEAL PLAN Day 1 (Thurs 2/21) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole Lunch - Veggie Salad with Tuna & hard boiled eggs Dinner - Zoodles and Meatballs Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 2 (Fri 2/22) Breakfast - Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Bake Lunch - Leftover zoodles and meatballs Dinner - One Pan chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 3 (Sat 2/23) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole

Whole30 Update: This isn't fun anymore

Hey people! I hope your Monday isn't feeling so much like a Monday today! I started this post last night. I wish I would have finished and posted it then because I was feeling pretty good. Today, however I'm feeling pretty poopy. Mentally, I'm past the point of excitement and I'm on to the "this isn't really fun anymore" part. Physically, I go back and forth between feeling lousy and just weird. See more details below on the craziness that a sugar detox does to you. But, the good news is, I'm more than 1/10th of the way through my 30 Days (Today is Day 5). I've learned a few things to share with you guys: 1. Sugar is in everything! EVERY. THING. I couldn't find a breakfast sausage or bacon that didn't have sugar in it. And it was almost impossible to find a spaghetti sauce. Prego Simply is a good option, but my grocery store was out. I did find a Whole30 compliant sauce in the health food section. 2. Sugar detox does some weird stuff

Hi. My Name is Cayla.

And I'm addicted to food.  Having been overweight most of my life, there are so many things that I've looked at and blamed.  But the more I've reflected on it, and examined my habits and my relationship with food, I've realized it is not healthy at all. It's quite dysfunctional. I'll find myself in this vicious cycle: dieting (I've literally tried them all, starting in MIDDLE SCHOOL - we'll talk about that some more in a later post), not seeing results, being sad because of the lack of results, binging food to try and make the sadness subside, which doesn't work, so I try another diet. But this time, I quit.  Let me be clear - I'm not quitting food. That would find me quite dead. But, I'm quitting being controlled by it. And I'm kicking off this journey with Whole30. Whole30 is a 30-day diet that emphasizes whole foods and the elimination of sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy. This is going to be super tough (I really l