Skip to main content

Day 3

Today was the first day that I got to go outside of Delta State University's campus and see some communities in the Delta Region. A school bus (the aisles of which seemed way smaller now than when I was a kid) took us first to the town of Sumner and then to Tutwiler.

Sumner is known for the Emmett Till murder and trial. In August of 1955, Emmett Till, a 14-year old black boy was kidnapped from his uncle's house in the middle of the night by at least two white men. He was badly beaten, killed, and his body thrown into the Tallahatchi River. He had been accused of whistling at a white woman. His body was later found in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi. The two white men were indicted in the city of Sumner for the crime of murder. The men were tried for this charge and were acquitted by an all-white, all-male jury after deliberating for just over an hour. Quite soon after their acquittal, the two men admitted to the crime during a magazine interview. 
This tragic case human injustice has left its mark on the city of Sumner. But, during my visit today, I saw restoration. Physical as well as community. As buildings, including the courthouse were being renovated, the community was being renovated as well. An art gallery, weekly farmer's market, and new restaurant are allowing this city's square to once again be a centerpiece for the Sumner community to come together, do life together, and heal together from a painful past.

In Tutwiler, we viisted the Tutwiler Community Education Center where we were able to have lunch and conversations with some of the community leaders in the city. The Community Education Center is a place with programs for people of all ages. The conversation today seemed to focus around how the Community Education Center is reaching the kids of the Tutwiler community. There, kids can participate in after school programs, get homework help, play games, play sports, and possibly most important, they can build relationship and connection with community leaders that serve there. They get to see people from their own community working to better the world around them.

The men and women talking about each of these communities and the progress being made in each one, spoke with such passion and enthusiasm. They were proud of the state and the community that they call home. Mississippi, perhaps has gotten a bad rap. Especially when it comes to race relations or the overall socioeconomic status of its people. This can generate a misconception that the people in Mississippi need to be rescued. But, there are already people here, working to make race relations better, as I saw in Sumner. There are already people here working to educate and inspire people to excellence for themselves, as I saw in Tutwiler at the Community Education Center. I'm excited to catch the passion and enthusiasm of the people in my new home and come alongside them and help them in what they're already doing to make a difference. 

I may not know yet what exactly God has planned for me here. But, I do know that it's going to be great!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole30 - Week 1

In order for me to make good decisions, the good options need to be right in front of my face and easy to grab. So meal planning works really well for me. I don't necessarily get all the plastic containers and pre-portion meals for the week. But I do plan a menu that includes each meal and snacks. Then from that, I can create a shopping list. This allows me to go about my week, knowing that the good-for-me things are readily available.  I'm sharing my meal plan, recipe, and shopping lists below.  WEEK 1 - MEAL PLAN Day 1 (Thurs 2/21) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole Lunch - Veggie Salad with Tuna & hard boiled eggs Dinner - Zoodles and Meatballs Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 2 (Fri 2/22) Breakfast - Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Bake Lunch - Leftover zoodles and meatballs Dinner - One Pan chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 3 (Sat 2/23) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole

Whole30 Update: This isn't fun anymore

Hey people! I hope your Monday isn't feeling so much like a Monday today! I started this post last night. I wish I would have finished and posted it then because I was feeling pretty good. Today, however I'm feeling pretty poopy. Mentally, I'm past the point of excitement and I'm on to the "this isn't really fun anymore" part. Physically, I go back and forth between feeling lousy and just weird. See more details below on the craziness that a sugar detox does to you. But, the good news is, I'm more than 1/10th of the way through my 30 Days (Today is Day 5). I've learned a few things to share with you guys: 1. Sugar is in everything! EVERY. THING. I couldn't find a breakfast sausage or bacon that didn't have sugar in it. And it was almost impossible to find a spaghetti sauce. Prego Simply is a good option, but my grocery store was out. I did find a Whole30 compliant sauce in the health food section. 2. Sugar detox does some weird stuff

Hi. My Name is Cayla.

And I'm addicted to food.  Having been overweight most of my life, there are so many things that I've looked at and blamed.  But the more I've reflected on it, and examined my habits and my relationship with food, I've realized it is not healthy at all. It's quite dysfunctional. I'll find myself in this vicious cycle: dieting (I've literally tried them all, starting in MIDDLE SCHOOL - we'll talk about that some more in a later post), not seeing results, being sad because of the lack of results, binging food to try and make the sadness subside, which doesn't work, so I try another diet. But this time, I quit.  Let me be clear - I'm not quitting food. That would find me quite dead. But, I'm quitting being controlled by it. And I'm kicking off this journey with Whole30. Whole30 is a 30-day diet that emphasizes whole foods and the elimination of sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy. This is going to be super tough (I really l