Skip to main content

Teach for America- Day 1

I really thought I was ready. I'd said goodbye (more than once to most people), I'd packed, I'd at least tried to prepare mentally. I spent the last month of my time in Georgia doing my best to cherish every moment with every important person in my life. This being the way we should live everyday, no? But, that's another blog for another time.

But here I was: goodbyes said, car packed, waiting for the Starbucks barista to hand me my grande skinny caramel latte. I was about to be on my way. How exciting! 

And terrifying...oh yea. Terrifying. I had no sooner hit I-75 North when the tears started flowing. I'm moving- not visiting, moving- to another state, 8 hours away from my mom and dad. I've never NOT lived with one of them. I don't know another soul in this place! What the heck is wrong with me?!? And then my phone starts going off with "I miss you" messages from the students of my church in McDonough. How was I going to move away from these kids that I love so much? And it's not just the students. I love the staff too. And every single person there. And my sisters. And everyone. I thought about it. Not just a fleeting, I'm-not-really-going-to-do-that, kind of thought. I thought about it. Lingered on the thought. I could just turn around and go home. Get back in my bed. And see everyone that I know and love tomorrow. I can go to summer camp with the student ministry in a couple weeks. And all will be right with the world. 

Then I remembered something I had seen on the internet a while back. "Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone." -Robin Sharma. As God's Daughter, I have been called to greatness. I absolutely have to go. Because the greatness that I have been called to at this moment is working to ensure that one day all children in this nation will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education. A greatness that is 100% worthy of my leaping out of my comfort zone.

So, I kept driving. The closer I got to Delta State University, the easier it got to be excited instead of sad. But, the tears were still there, at the surface. I could barely hold phone conversations for fear that I would lose it. And I couldn't let them know that I was losing it. Everyone I love needs to know that I am excited. The state of Mississippi is absolutely beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen so much green. It's gorgeous. So I focused on the beauty of my surroundings and the worship music blasting through my speakers. And not the lump in my throat. I didn't think of that at all, or else the tears would start again.

Delta State University campus is a reflection of its home state. Gorgeous. The epitome of a southern university campus. It was also confusing, but that's any college campus for you. I made it through registration without bursting into tears- a miracle, really! And finally met some people- YAY! Opening Night was a complete inspiration. Having TFA Alum reassure us (me) that it will be okay. That we (I) can do this.

Me being here is completely worth it. It's life or death! The futures of the kids I will be teaching depend on it! Day One was a roller coaster to say the least. I'm not going to promise you that I won't cry myself to sleep tonight (or the rest of the nights this week). But, I can promise this: I will stick it out. I can and will do it for them!

Comments

  1. You will do great. Keep your eyes and heart focused on what God has lead you to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Whole30 - Week 1

In order for me to make good decisions, the good options need to be right in front of my face and easy to grab. So meal planning works really well for me. I don't necessarily get all the plastic containers and pre-portion meals for the week. But I do plan a menu that includes each meal and snacks. Then from that, I can create a shopping list. This allows me to go about my week, knowing that the good-for-me things are readily available.  I'm sharing my meal plan, recipe, and shopping lists below.  WEEK 1 - MEAL PLAN Day 1 (Thurs 2/21) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole Lunch - Veggie Salad with Tuna & hard boiled eggs Dinner - Zoodles and Meatballs Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 2 (Fri 2/22) Breakfast - Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Bake Lunch - Leftover zoodles and meatballs Dinner - One Pan chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans Snacks - Almonds, orange, apple crisp Day 3 (Sat 2/23) Breakfast - Whole 30 Breakfast Casserole

Whole30 Update: This isn't fun anymore

Hey people! I hope your Monday isn't feeling so much like a Monday today! I started this post last night. I wish I would have finished and posted it then because I was feeling pretty good. Today, however I'm feeling pretty poopy. Mentally, I'm past the point of excitement and I'm on to the "this isn't really fun anymore" part. Physically, I go back and forth between feeling lousy and just weird. See more details below on the craziness that a sugar detox does to you. But, the good news is, I'm more than 1/10th of the way through my 30 Days (Today is Day 5). I've learned a few things to share with you guys: 1. Sugar is in everything! EVERY. THING. I couldn't find a breakfast sausage or bacon that didn't have sugar in it. And it was almost impossible to find a spaghetti sauce. Prego Simply is a good option, but my grocery store was out. I did find a Whole30 compliant sauce in the health food section. 2. Sugar detox does some weird stuff

Hi. My Name is Cayla.

And I'm addicted to food.  Having been overweight most of my life, there are so many things that I've looked at and blamed.  But the more I've reflected on it, and examined my habits and my relationship with food, I've realized it is not healthy at all. It's quite dysfunctional. I'll find myself in this vicious cycle: dieting (I've literally tried them all, starting in MIDDLE SCHOOL - we'll talk about that some more in a later post), not seeing results, being sad because of the lack of results, binging food to try and make the sadness subside, which doesn't work, so I try another diet. But this time, I quit.  Let me be clear - I'm not quitting food. That would find me quite dead. But, I'm quitting being controlled by it. And I'm kicking off this journey with Whole30. Whole30 is a 30-day diet that emphasizes whole foods and the elimination of sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy. This is going to be super tough (I really l